Monday 23 March 2020

Empty Streets

Recent painting, oil on canvas, 60 x 45cms
Anxious times. Empty Streets. A lot of my paintings seem to have a different resonance at the moment as we all (well we should be shouldn’t we?) head indoors for self-isolation. I’m sure it will need to be lockdown next week.

I was sent home from college last week. I left with a sudden sense of loss for the students I may not see again and those positive, creative relationships you build with many of them as their teacher. It was a sense I saw in many of their eyes too. A sense of loss mixed with shock and sadness. 
Recent painting, oil on canvas, 60 x 45cms
Last week I did these two paintings. I particularly like the one of the bus stop (yes, that’s what it is), but the other one which depicts a delivery van, it’s interior light opening up its insides onto the empty street in the evening rain like some weird spacecraft, would seemed the most prescient as it was based on a photograph I took several weeks ago.

No comments: