Thursday 8 August 2019

Current Work...

'Apprehension', oil on canvas, 50 x 60cms, 2019
I’ve spent some time this week updating the ‘Current Work’ portfolio on my website. It was a long overdue, but I’ve been so busy making new work and enjoying ‘just getting on with it’ over the last few months I haven’t been that bothered to be truthful. However, I’m currently reading a great book ‘What They Didn’t Teach You in Art School’, by Rosalind Davis and Annabel Tilley which is full of great advice for any artist, or aspiring one, when it comes to trying to survive, and what it actually means, to be an artist.
'Ghost Rider', oil on canvas, 120 x 80cms, 2019
 It prompted me to sharpen things up a bit with the promotion of my work and self, beginning with my website. I’ve also added a Biography, which has been a useful exercise to write on my CV page. It’s a great book. I’d recommend you to get a copy.
'Telephone Wire', oil on canvas, 100 x 76cms, 2019
So I’ve uploaded a selection of some of my new work, although some of the paintings could admittedly be, and will be soon, photographed a bit better. It’s not all I’ve done but I hope it gives an overview of what I’m currently up to. I’ve yet to write more about the work on the website, but I can say that the paintings represent an attempt to ‘open things up’ much more in terms of subject matter and experimenting. I could do with experimenting with some better titles I think (!), as any serious music fan will recognise chunks of their record collection in the titles I’ve used at the moment…Suicide, The Cure, The Delines and even ELO have made the mix this time. Oh dear…

No comments: