Wednesday 20 June 2018

With A Little Help....

Shaun Morris, 'The Street (Inside Out)', oil on canvas, 90 x 60cms, 2018

http://hughmarwood.blogspot.com/2018/06/shaun-morris-little-bit-back-from-main.html

Here’s a link above to a blog post by my artist friend, Hugh Marwood on his rather splendid blog page about my current exhibition, ‘Just A Little Bit Back From The Main Road’, at Evesham Arts Centre. Hugh writes very generously about my paintings, and as ever makes a range of very insightful observations about the work and makes some unexpected connections to other painters I had not previously made myself. Thanks Hugh. I was pleased that Hugh headed his post with an image of this painting above, ‘The Street (Inside Out)’, as I think it’s a pretty nice piece and it’s affirming to have someone else agree with that.

Unfortunately, Hugh wasn’t able to access some of the exhibition on the day he went for various reasons related to the limited opening of the Arts Centre which is a bit frustrating, not least for him when I pointed it out. The limited opening times of the Arts Centre has proved to be a problem for friends wanting to visit the exhibition and made me reflect that sometimes my determination to keep my paintings out there ‘on the road’ is not always so wise.
Hugh Marwood, 'Fridge 6', mixed media, 2018
Andrew Smith, 'Vision Of A Free Floating Island', acrylic on canvas, 100 x 96cms, 2018

I’m pleased to announce that Hugh and I, with artist Andrew Smith, will be exhibiting together in September at Nottingham’s Surface Gallery in another three hander group show. The last time we did this was at The Artists Workhouse in Studley in ‘A Minor Place’ in 2016, which was a great experience for all of us. I’ve found it a really enriching experience exhibiting with Andrew and Hugh and there is a lot to be said for the idea of strength in numbers when it comes to curating and organising exhibitions like these. The venue at Surface Gallery has two large exhibition spaces over two floors which is a bit daunting to fill but I’m really looking forward to seeing us try…We have a title now too. More details will follow soon.


No comments: