Tuesday 31 January 2023

Stumbling into 2023

 

As yet untitled, oil on canvas, 60 x 50cms, 2023

I move into 2023 with some difficulty with my painting. I spent the Christmas break in and out the studio working on a painting that I eventually took a big turpsy brush to and wiped off (well, my daughter did this much to her delight as she was there in the studio when I made the decision to do this. Whenever she comes in now, she tells me what I am doing is not very good and can she wipe it off…?). I had also wiped 2 more paintings off prior to this, just not thinking they were good enough, or necessary either. It’s a bit frustrating but not that big a deal either. After all, I have just had a good run during the time off from work I’ve had and made what I think are 10 strong paintings, so it feels healthy to stumble and drop the ball. I get more suspicious when it’s going so well. 

a painting now wiped off by my lovely daughter, studio shot 

 I have also worked on the painting at the top of this post over several difficult sessions, based on a photograph taken in my local Lidl car park on a foggy night. I nearly abandoned this too but ended up wrestling it to the ground by forgetting the references to Lidl etc and exploring the painting through a more formal lens involving colour and the abstract shapes in the composition. This was enjoyable and was partially informed by looking at the collages of artist, Ken Kewley and reading his ‘Notes on Colour’. This freed up my thinking a bit and took things off in a different direction. It’s sits now as a slightly awkward, clumsy painting but also one that makes some sort of formal sense I’m pleased with. It possesses that feeling I think most painters are striving for when it stands on its own apart from you with its own strong presence and energy. With that in mind, I’m happy to leave it at that. 

No comments: