Saturday 30 November 2019

The Nights Draw In...

Recent Painting, oil on canvas, 2019
The nights have drawn in. I find this time of year, with the dark and cold and the uphill grind towards the end of a long teaching term, my least favourite. It feels like my body is often closed in on itself as I leave for work on dank, chilly mornings, ride the bus with a podcast for company (usually the brilliant Adam Buxton Podcast), creep into work, teach and mark student work all day, creep back out to the bus stop in the dark, get home to the family who are all as tired as each other before finally having some time to myself when I get the kids to bed about 9pm. And then….I head to the studio if I can on 2 or 3 nights, work till about 11pm- I seem to have a renewed energy while working, but am knackered after, then I collapse into bed and rise again the next morning to repeat it all over again. It’s not like this at other times in the year but these weeks from mid-November till Xmas always feel a bit like this. I love to get to January....
Recent Painting, oil on canvas, 2019
I have not managed to work on any larger paintings, but I have done a few smaller and mid-size paintings which I’m pleased with which have proven to be a bit more diverse. From ketchup bottles on a burger bar counter to recycling bins outside the local supermarket I’ve tried to source suitable subjects as a vehicle for getting more colour in the paintings and just to keep stretching what I do.
Recent Painting, oil on canvas, 2019
Recent Painting, oil on canvas, 2019
I also did this painting (at top of the post) of a lorry on this long, wide canvas that I had bought thinking it would be good if I could develop something for this unusual format. I had a few weeks previously taken some interesting photos of some huge lorries refuelling at a service station on a rainy night travelling back from London by coach with students. I made the painting late one night ten days after 39 bodies of migrants being trafficked from Vietnam were found in the back of a similar refridgerated lorry in Essex. This story seemed to give the image of this vehicle pulled up in the dead of night outside some bland non-descript building a different sort of resonance and feeling held in the oil on canvas…

No comments: