Thursday 6 July 2017

Roll River Roll...

recent paintings 'The Street (Fog Screen)', and The Street (Tree of Knowledge)' installed at Joseph Chamberlain College Arts Festival July 2017

I’ve not written anything for ages, but I have been busy. Here are a couple of paintings currently on display at Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College where I work. I’m exhibiting them alongside our students work as part of our annual Arts Festival. It has been a nice opportunity over the years to ‘test’ out new work on the large walls. These two large paintings belong to a new series of work,  ‘Negativland’ which I recently created as a new portfolio on the website: http://shaunmorrispaintings.com/negativland#0, but have yet to exhibit anywhere. They were created in a relatively short intense burst of activity and hold in some way in their expression some of my fears and anxieties about living in this strange, dystopian post-Brexit Britain.
Current studio work
I’m currently working on a series of smaller paintings based on observations of makeshift shelters constructed by the homeless in the fly-tipped margins of land surrounding the college…I’m struggling to make these work as they are formally a bit of a departure from recent work, and I’m not sure where they are going, but I feel like they are beginning to take some sort of shape after much hard work....

No comments: