Thursday 5 December 2013

'Black Highway'


This is a new painting. At just 60 x 80cms, it’s fairly modest compared to some of my more recent paintings, but seems to pack a bit of a punch with it’s big, pared down shapes, and the quick speed of the marks across the surface. I was thinking a bit about the characters in Chinese calligraphy, the large Chinese paintings at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, and the pressures of work. And I was listening to 'Repave', the wonderful album by Volcano Choir I have on continuous 'heavy rotation' at present.  It all seemed to end up like this.



A few hours painting this, and some of those pressures were relieved. At least until the next morning’s bus ride….

(and I also heard today that I'm now meant to be doing this until I'm 70. Great.)


No comments: