Friday 5 June 2009

May

Drawing is at the core of all my practise. Everyone of my paintings begins with an observational drawing of some kind. I also make alot of small 'plein air' paintings which inform the work. I don't use photographs at all, as I find they stifle my interest in mark-making and a more perceptual approach to painting. I've been working on alot of new paintings over the last few months, mainly flowers and landscapes. Here are are a few examples of some of the drawings and studies I've been making and using . Some are just small sketchbook studies, others are more detailed pencil drawings, and there are some charcoal 'cartoons' as preparations for the paintings. There are also some examples of the paintings created outdoors which are in oil on board.



























No comments: